Gods and Fractals

 It a random night and I was lying on my bed, calling it a day, trying to get some sleep - when random thoughts popped into my brain. And while "thinking" them through, I observed a rather wonderful fact. First of all, lets all try to ask ourselves the billion dollar question - "what is life ?". It is the the most trivial and fundamental question that must be answered before we proceed to accomplish or perform any task. And yet, none of us have a clear answer. The lack of knowledge on such a trivial question shows much about our ignorance and lack of understanding of this cosmos. Now, seeing the title of this page many of you might be inclined to tell me about dharma. The noble purpose that one strives to accomplish throughout his/her life. But lets be honest here, that's just a mask to the actual question. Sure, it abstracts away the questions but does not fundamentally answer it. 

Enough of that talk, and no, I did not arrive it a satisfactory answer, in fact I believe it might never be possible to achieve such an answer. What I observed however was a hidden fractal into our existence itself. You see fractals are sort of patterns that repeat themself when you zoom into the bigger picture. For example, take a snow flake, now zoom onto any one of its tiny branches; you would be amazed to find it being made of shapes just like the big snowflake. For a philosophical example, take a day in your life, and now take a week or a month or a year. If you were to analyze your moods, happiness and energy the overall behavior in a day would be remarkable same as that of a month or a year. These are called fractals.

Now take the human body. You break it down to systems, organs and then the cell. (All the biology enthusiasts do forgive me for skipping the complexity of the subject and mellowing it down to just these three words, what would otherwise be a subject worth ones lifetime). Now you take the cell and break it down you get organelles, and then you break it down into molecules, atoms and then fundamental particles. If you observe, ANYTHING you take from our body is part of a bigger system, a bigger picture. And the lifetime of that bigger picture/ system is always greater for that thing. For example an average human being lives for about 70-80 years but skin cells survive for an average of 28-30 days. 

Here comes the exiting part, extrapolate this idea to humans. What if we are part of a bigger system too ? What if our entire lifetime is just a measly fraction of lifetime of something bigger ? Maybe something that we call dharma or god ?

Sure, its not a scientific argument  or a analytical proof. But its merely a thought. To all the critics who are ready to debate me on that this does not mean anything. Let me remind all of you that, at the very heart of science and math's, lies a world that we don't understand. Math axioms that are arbitrary taken without much decisive advantage or reason and the world of fundamental particles that no one has explored yet. Like all of that, this too is a trivial thought. But it is interesting you much realize, for there is no necessity for anything to behave in this manner. There is absolutely no need for something to be always a part of the bigger picture, for something not to function alone. 

Anyways, I leave the rest of the thought experiment to you guys, to think ponder and most important question. Question even if the answer is out of your understanding, for the very essence of humane is to ask. 












Thank you 😁

Comments

  1. Well, being a math enthusiast, I have read a lot about fractals and the Mandelbrot set. When I came across your story about this post, I thought you were going to discuss the mathematics behind it. But what you presented was completely unexpected and quite imaginative—relating fractals to life the way you did.

    I haven’t seen even experts, whether in mathematics or in life philosophy, analyze things in this way. It was really well done. That said, I was hoping for a longer discussion, just to enjoy reading more of your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the comment. Yea I do agree that these days I rarely am active here and even if I publish, I write too less. College is taking majority of my time, but yea would defo try to publish more...!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts