Physics And Math's: The Nemesis
Often in our school times, and even now at that, we all have developed a sordid hatred towards physics and math's. We find it puzzling and boring and completely useless compared to anything else. Even, now I have heard many remarking - "Calculus is the most useless thing we ever learned, utter waste without a single application", quite brutal that comment in my opinion. But nevertheless, people think the way they do, but in this post I will try to convince if not the whole of you, but a part that these subjects that may seem so distant are actually really close to ones heart.
Before dwelling into the mainstream arguments you guys have probably heard, let us take this one step at a time, by questioning what is it that we truly hate ? I mean to ask, what is physics ? You might say, the study of the physical world, or the study of the measurable quantities. All true, but beyond that the officially accepted definition of Physics goes as -"the branch of science concerned with the nature and properties of matter and energy. The subject matter of physics includes mechanics, heat, light and other radiation, sound, electricity, magnetism, and the structure of atoms"......well, uff that is too huge and well if not anything just makes once repel the subject more. But in the heart and core of that definition lies the study of nature, the study of anything that moves or changes. Yes, Physics is not only confined to F=ma or E=mc^2 but it also involves the falling of a leaf, the blooming of a flower or the swirling of water when we shake the bottle. I believe the reason we all hate physics is that we fail to see its beauty beyond it scary surface. Don't take my word for it, imagine - sitting beneath the dark sky, looking at all the various constellations being formed, deep within knowing that each of those tiny dots are millions of light year away, so far so far away that time itself changes, knowing that the atoms in these bright spots are colliding at vast speeds getting destroyed and at the same time creating something altogether new is surreal. But compared to this, the projectile motion and gravitation equations we learn first in school, well they really do take the whole show away.
Next, comes the devil of them all- Mathematics. Partially the reason I feel people hate Physics is because the innumerable numbers that come. Sine theta, cos theta, integration, derivatives, Taylors series, Maclaurins theorem, partial differentiation etc...words bound to frighten anyone, make them shut the book tight and throw it out of the window. But once we dwell deeper into more intuitive problems - my personal favorites - Collatz conjuncture, perfect prime theorem. Some of these problems dwell quite deep into logic rather than brute mathematically reasoning. Math's I believe is not just a language of culture, but it views into the vast development of human society. Being one of the oldest and most useful language of the civilizations, Math's is what that enables us to stand into the shoulders of the giants.
Thats it, what I have written is merely a trivial effort into trying to bring out the beauties of these subjects. And I don't say that you all must embrace them, but try to see these things at least once. You never know what may end up as your next big craze......
Thank you😁😃


Though I love Mathematics, there is a pretty bad relationship b/w me and physics and that was in my 9th standard. I used to hate physics for the formulas and the values we learnt in gravitation and speed, sound, force, etc. But now as I have completed my 10th, my relationship with physics is good. 10th physics was far better than 9th. I loved it. Hope in 11th and 12th it remains as a constant like this...
ReplyDeleteAnyway, loved the post.